My friend Ben made SDP following a recipe from Food.com and I loved it! I’ve made it almost 10 times now and found it works just as well using gluten-free flour and with date syrup instead. Just re-sharing that same recipe here but with minor tweaks for ease.
Sticky Date Pudding
Sticky Date Pudding
- 250 ml soy milk
- 100 ml water
- 200g chopped dates
- 1 tsp bicarb
- 115g vegan butter
- 115g brown sugar
- 200g self raising flour or gluten-free self-raising flour*
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8g tsp nutmeg (optional)
- 100g date syrup (or golden syrup)
- 200g brown sugar
- 150g vegan butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Place all sauce ingredients into a small saucepan. Cook on low-medium heat, stirring until it bubbles. Let simmer for 3-5 minutes and take off heat and set aside to cool. It will thicken as it cools. Place in fridge for 20 minutes if you want to speed up the process.
- Pre heat oven at 190ºC.
- Place dates, soy milk, water in to a separate sauce pan that is quite tall.
- Bring to boil and them simmer for 5 minutes to soften dates.
- Add bi-carb soda, stir in and turn off the heat. It should get really really frothy and the bubbles should climb up the walls of the saucepan.
- Set date mixture aside to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together brown sugar and vegan butter (no need for a whisk or beater!).
- Addd ate mixture, flour and spices (optional). Mix together until just combined.
- Lightly grease a 20cmx20cm baking tin with vegan butter or oil.
- Transfer mixture into baking tin and bake for 22-25 mins. If you are using a smaller and taller baking tin, you may need to bake for 30mins.
- After baking, let cool in tin for 15 minutes.
- Flip out onto a board, cut and SERVE!
- *plain flour and plain gluten-free flour works too. re: gf options, grain flours do not work (chickpea, quinoa, buckwheat etc), but a gluten-free blend works (e.g .bob’s red mill, woolworths gluten-free, coles gluten-free and ogran).