Vegan Hong Kong Style Mango Pancakes
Hong Kong Style Mango Pancakes
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp all purpose flour (110g)
- 1 cup soy milk
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil, plus extra for frying
- 3-4 drops yellowfood colouring
- 1-2 drops pink food colouring
- 1 can coconut cream, refrigerated overnight I recommend full-fat Macro organic!
- 1 tbsp caster or icing sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla paste
- 1 big juicy mango, peeled and sliced into thick slices
- MAKE THE COCONUT CREAM. Scoop the firm coconut cream from the top of the can into a mixing bowl. Discard the liquid. Add sugar, salt and vanilla paste and use an electric beater to whisk for a few minutes until thick and fluffy. Transfer to a container or bowl in the fridge. (Can be made ahead of time)
- MAKE THE PANCAKE BATTER. (get those scales out! weigh flour for best results) In a mixing bowl, whisk together milk and oil. Sift in flour and sugar and whisk until well combined. Whisk in a few drops of yellow food colouring (don’t over do it!!), and so the pancakes don’t turn out fluorescent yellow, add a 1 or 2 drops of pink food colouring to off set the yellow a little. Strain the batter into a pouring jug.
- COOK PANCAKES. The aim is to make THIN almost crepe-like pancakes so the batter needs to be on the runnier side. If yours is looking a little thick, add a tsp at a time – 1 tsp of water can go a long way so don’t water your batter down too heavily. OKAY. Keep a large plate handy and a some oil and a pastry brush handy. To make a pancake, heat a 20cm non-stick pan on medium heat and brush VERY VERY LIGHTLY with some oil. Pour a little pancake batter in the centre and immediately swirl the pan around to cover the base. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until the top is no longer shiny and wet. Flip and cook for just 10-15 seconds to ‘seal’ the other side. Slide your pancake off onto the large plate. Repeat with remaining batter til you have 5-6 pancakes. ALLOW THEM TO COOL COMPLETELY!!!!!!
- ASSEMBLY. Place a pancake cooked-face up (smoother yellower side facing down/out…. hope that makes sense!). Place 1-2 pieces of mango horizontally on the centre of the pancake (see my instagram stories for help!!!). Cover with a generous dollop of whipped coconut cream and spread to cover the mango pieces. Fold the sides in and then roll up! Repeat with all pancakes! Refrigerate for 15 minutes to set and then DEVOUR THESE DELICIOUS THANGS!!!!