Now obviously, this isn’t like the best fake-egg ever, but it’s pretty damn good for how easy it is! IT IS SO EASY. 5 INGREDIENTS, PEOPLE! Inspired by JUST Egg’s new ‘folded-eggs’ which look AMAZING for all eggy brekky sandwiches, but sadly, unavailable in Australia.
YES. I’m sure I could get super fancy with mung beans etc… but this is just tooo easy and made with ingredients that you’re probably already familiar with and can easily find at any supermarket. Note: you really don’t need the black salt, I mean it’s awesome and gives SUPER EGGY flavour, but if you don’t have it, don’t sweat. You’ve probably already forgotten what egg tastes like anyway, right? lol.
It’s a blend of tofu and chickpea flour because while chickpea gives eggy vibes, it doens’t quite give eggy texture – it’s a little too dry. A lil silken tofu is going to give our egg a little more bounce and spring.
Vegan Folded Brekky Egg
Vegan Folded Brekky
- 125g silken tofu
- 1/4 tsp black salt (sub for regular salt if you don’t have black salt!)
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour (40g)
- 1/2 cup water (125ml)
- 1/8 tsp bakingpowder (1g) (not soda!)
- less than 1/8 tsp turmeric (OPTIONAL – it’s just for colour and doesn’t make a huge difference)
- Blend all egg ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- In a saucepan, on low-medium heat, melt a little vegan butter in a non-stick frypan, enough to cover the base of the pan.
- Once butter is totally melted, pour batter in SLOWLY – you want just a thin layer, just enough to cover the base of the pan – so pour in and swirl it around immediately so it spreads to cover the base of the pan!
- Cook with lid on for 1.5-2 minutes. When you take the lid off, the top of the ‘egg’ should look a little spongey and shouldn’t be shiny-liquid any more. Now you can fold the corners in to create a square shape! (see my instagram story to if you need help @itslizmiu).
NOTES FOR EXTRA FLAVOUR
- If you’re not using black salt, you might like to add some of the following:
- add 1 tsp nutritional yeast for extra umami flavour!
- add 1/2 tsp garlic powder or onion powder for more flavour!